Ever have a shirt you love that’s too small? Here’s a way to make it fit.
- Find a knit shirt like a t-shirt or Henley shirt in a coordinating color with the same sleeve length.
- Open the side seams and inside sleeve seams of the shirt
- Cut a strip out of each side of the knit shirt. Be sure to keep the side seams. Center the side/sleeve seams in the middle of the strips you cut.
- Insert the strips of the knit shirt into the side and sleeve seams of the “too small” shirt and sew them in place.
- Voila! A shirt that fits with a little stretch and give so you can move and be comfortable.
Here’s an example of a George Roth shirt I modified. I’m not a fan of a shirt collar, I removed the collar, cut a scoop neckline and used the extra fabric to make a ruffle for the new neckline. I did this with the help of a tailor, but the project could be easily done as a DIY.
Want more ideas?
- Here’s a redo of a t-shirt.
- Here’s my pinterest board of LOTS of fashion re-do ideas.
I love it! I’m going to try this on several shirts, I think. I might cut the sleeves short, too. I particularly like the way you mentioned the other mods you made to the shirt. Sometimes I forget that I can just fix things to be the way I want!
So glad you like it Melissa! Yes, you can make the shirt any way you want…no point in settling, ever!
I had this exact idea, but I hadn’t seen it done. Now I know it will work. Thank you!
Great minds Rachel!! So glad I could help. How did you customize your shirt?
My wonderful husband bought me a clearance button down online that is too small. Final sale, so I was going to give it away, but really don’t want to because I love the shirt. Thanks for figuring out how I can love the shirt on me, instead of just on the hanger!
So glad you have a way to save the shirt you love Rachel!! I’d love to see how you made it work!
I love this idea! I have so many button-downs that are a tad to small. This makes me wish I knew how to sew! Great job!
I’m so glad you found it useful Megan! I’d love to see what you do to customize your button-downs!