This segment appears on Great Day Houston on December 6, 2012. Photos, sources and tips are below the video clip.
Do you keep wearing your one and only “Holiday Dress” to every holiday function, year after year? Have tons of holiday events and want to wear something different to each one? The usual solution is to buy new dresses and outfits, some that you’ll only wear once. That option can be impractical and expensive.
Men have been renting tuxedos for years, now there are rental options for women. This is a great option if you want to wear something mind-blowing for a special event or for items you’ll only wear once.
Fashion rental sites give you access to an unlimited closet of designer options…so you can dress like a superstar without the celebrity price tag. If you are vacationing in a different climate, you can even rent a whole week’s worth of clothes that are perfect for that weather.
Here are some national rental websites you may have heard of:
- Rent the Runway – designer party dresses and gowns for rent
- Bag Borrow or Steal – designer hand bags and evening bags for rent
- Lending Luxury – all kinds of clothing for rent
Houston has a rental option too! New For The Night. They rent current season, designer dresses you would find at Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue. You keep them for three days (or longer for a small additional fee) and the company handles the dry-cleaning and shipping. You can order online or visit the showroom to try your dress before you rent. If you are traveling, they will even ship your dress to your destination.
Here are the dresses from New For The Night displayed on the mannequins:
- Holiday Party – Navy lace “Laverne” cocktail dress by Catherine Deane, retail $950, rental $88, (the Milianna python and Swarovski crystal necklace retails for $575, from Willow Life + Style)
- Formal Holiday Party – Green one shoulder pleated gown with belt by Halston Heritage, retail $695, rental $85
- Holiday Brunch – Amber metallic dress by Paper Crown, retail $395, rental $75 (Gold butterfly necklace by Kenneth j. lane, $148, Willow Life + Style)
- New Year’s Eve – Black geometric embellished strapless dress by Parker, retail $450, rental $90 (gold pippet and sequin necklace handmade in India by Deepa Gurnani, $495, Willow Life + Style)
- Sarah is wearing – Rahit Gandhi + Ahul Khanna fringe dress, retail $715, rental $88 (Earrings by Temple St.)
Kid’s clothing can be rented too! Kids clothes are expensive and special event clothes usually get worn only once because kids grow out of them so fast. BorrowBabyCouture.com rents designer clothes for girls and will be adding boys clothing next year.
Her’s what the models are wearing:
- Elise – Fendi red velvet plaid dress, retail $372, rent $55.80 for 1 week
- Juliet – Baby CZ Ruby dress with smocking, retail $242, rent $36.30 for 1 week. Juliet Pearl is a professional model. Click here for booking info.
- Daniel – Tuxedo from Men’s Warehouse. Just like with full-size men, the child goes in for a fitting and then orders the suit for rental. Rental $60 – $200, depending on the style. Sizes 4T and up.
Viewer Giveaway: NewForThe Night.com is giving viewers 10%-off their first rental until January 5, 2013. Use offer code GREATDAYHOUSTON at checkout.