Our intern Julia created a way to style her super curly hair like Taylor Swift. Here she is sharing her tips in her very first youtube video! Until now, how-to videos for this hairstyle have been made for straight hair…this is the first one that works for curly hair.
If you want more info, detailed descriptions of each step are below the video. If you try these tips, please post your pics…we want to see the styles you created too!
1. Before you get started with this hair style, your hair needs to be completely dry. Brush wet hair to get all the knots out. Twist your hair in a ShamWow-type towel for 5 to 10 minutes to absorb most of the water.
2. Work about a dime-size bit of heat protectant serum or anti-breakage spray throughout your hair. Julia likes Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum.
3. Seperate hair into two sections and use a hair dryer and round brush to dry your hair. Angle the blow dryer down in the direction you brush your hair to minimize frizz. The round brush she used in the video is made by Solano and it has a gel grip handle that’s easy and comfy to hold.
4. Let hair sit for at least 10 minutes before curling to make sure your hair is completely dry.
5. Separate hair into layers. Start with the bottom layer. Spray on some heat protectant (Julia likes Chi Shine Infusion) to help protect hair, control frizz and add shine.
6. Divide hair into 1-inch sections. Wrap hair around a curling iron or wand in a spiral, making sure all the pieces of hair touch the wand. Hold hair on the curling wand for about 10-15 seconds. If you are using a wand, it’s helpful to have a heat resistant glove.
7. After about 10-15 seconds of curling, angle the tip of the curling wand/iron downwards and slowly glide the wand up and out of the curl. The curl will be pretty tight but don’t worry, it will loosen up over time. Keep working the wand through each section and layer of your hair.
8. When you reach the top layer of hair, start the curls lower on your head to avoid the Shirley Temple Afro look.
9. Spray all the curls with hairspray. Julia used Alba Botanica hairspray. She likes it because it is non-aerosol, natural and has a medium hold for natural, touchable hair.
Julia is entering her senior year in high school. She took on this internship to learn more about the things she loves – business, communication, marketing, public relations and fashion. Thanks Julia, you’re doing a great job!!
Thank you Creative Media Marketing for the Solano Power brush and Alba Botanicals hairspray samples!