This story aired on KTRK, Channel 13’s Stretch Your Dollar on October 11, 2011. Here are the tips and details about the outfits included.
Fashion Houston is 4 nights of New York style runway shows that are open to the public! Runway fashion is theatrical and over-the-top because that’s what looks good on stage. It’s an art show, designed to excite and inspire you. If you copy those looks for real life, they won’t work.
You have to modify the looks you see on the runway, so they flatter your body and work for your life.
1. Copying a runway look literally doesn’t work – the look was created to look good on 6 ft-tall, size 0 model walking across a stage. If you try to wear the outfit exactly like the model does, you’ll get frustrated because it won’t look good on you.
2. Only wear silhouettes that flatter you – change the proportions or shape of a runway look so it works for you.
3. Translate the elements you like – incorporate colors, details, or style combinations that you like into your outfit.
Look 1 – Chloe Dao – graphic dress with color blocking ($250-$325)
Inspiration Elements: graphic print, color blocking, contrasting colors
(1) Graphic Antonio Melani dress (Dillard’s, on sale $66) with teal shrug (Target, $12)
(2) Teal Antonio Melani dress (Dillard’s, $159) with Anne Klein scarf (Dillard’s, $29);
Model: Elizabeth Saunders
Look 2 – Aries Milan – nautical top and tropical “grass” skirt ($500).
Inspiration Elements: Mix of two styles – classic nautical navy and white with tropical shimmery beige, unusual neckline, pop of color
(1) Eyeshadow navy lace racer-back top (Dillard’s, $19) white cami (Dillard’s, $30), orange Ralph Lauran belt (Dillard’s, $13)
(2) Anne Klein burn-out blouse (Dillard’s, $68), Jones of New York navy skirt (Dillard’s, onsale $34), Steve Madden red belt (Dillard’s, $38)
Model: Nida Khurshid
Look 3 – Jerri Moore – Blush chiffon gown
Inspiration Elements: chiffon, ruffles and ruching, vertical slit, plunging neckline
(1) Navy Adrianna Papell chiffon gown($200)
(2) Lavender Adrianna Papell chiffon gown ($188)
Model: Lana Dilixiati
Bill Cunningham, great fashion photographer and photo storyteller for the New York Times, says that the real fashion story is seen on the streets in the way real women wear their clothes.