As you loose weight, there’s a transition period when the clothes in your closet get too big, but you’re not ready to invest in a whole new wardrobe. What do you do? Image Coach Sarah Shah shows you 6 pieces to add to your wardrobe to bridge the gap until you reach your goal.
These pieces will look great at each size you travel through on your journey to your goal and flatter your new body as it appears.
This TV segment aired in two parts on KTRK, Channel 13 News at 4:00 & 6:00 on July 28, 2009. Here are links to watch Part 1 and Part 2.
1. Wrap Dress – The wrap dress is versatile and can work for work, evening, or casual occasions depending on how you accessorize it. Buy the dress slightly on the small side and wear it with a cami underneath. As you shrink, the dress will adjust to accommodate your body. The reversible wrap dress shown in the story is super practical because it’s 2 dresses in one.
Cibeline reversible wrap dress (http://www.cibeline.com/$488)
2. Camisole – A camisole will stretch your wardrobe by giving you coverage under tops, jackets, and sweaters. It’s an inexpensive versatile layering piece. Camis come in lots of different colors and styles, so choose your favorite colors in a style that flatters your figure.
3. “Shrinky Dink” Blouse – Blouses with pleats, rouching, or ruffles can stretch to fit your figure and shrink as you do. Because it expands and contracts, it will look good at your largest state and shrink with you so it never looks too big and is always flattering. Most Shrinky Dink blouses should be dry-cleaned to retain the “bounce.” The examples used in the story were made by Alberto Makali (stye #266218), Peter Nygard, and IQ Paris and can be found at Dillard’s department stores (http://www.dillards.com/).
4. Wrap Sweater – This cardigan can be wrapped to flatter your figure, no matter what size you are. You can weap it more than 20 different ways, so it can be worn all week and never look the same. The sweater works for day, evening, casual, and formal ocassions. Wear it as a top over the wrap dress to make the dress look like a skirt, as a sweater over the skrinky dink blouse, or over the cami for day or a sexy look for evening.
5. Trousers – This style of pants gives you lots of room in the hips and thighs so the pants always look stylish no matter your size. The waiste of these pants is really easy to tailor, so you can make them fit as you shrink. You can also use the isABelt transparent belt to discretely cinch in the waist as your waist gets smaller. The trousers in the TV story can be found at Dillard’s department stores (http://www.dillards.com/). The isABelt is available at http://www.isabelt.com/ ($16 – $20)
6. Smocked Strapless Dress – The smocked dress can be worn as a strapless dress or as a maxi skirt. It has elastic stitching in the top so it will adjust to fit your figure. If you are uncomfortable wearing a strapless dress, wear it over a cami or t-shirt to give you more coverage and security. The dresses in the TV story can be found at Dillard’s department stores (http://www.dillards.com/).
You can wear these pieces transitionally as you change your size, or you could even create your entire wardrobe from just these six pieces – 1 wrap dress (actually two dresses in one), 4 camis in different colors, 3 shrinky dink blouses, 2 draped cardigan, 3 pairs of trousers, and 1 smocked dress. Add a couple pairs of shoes, a belt, and a few pieces of jewelry and you’ve got the perfect mix and match wardrobe!
What’s Sarah Wearing?
Alberto Makali embellished top style #141580 (http://www.albertomakali.com/) from Dillard’s, Isabel trouser jeans from Dillard’s, Coach platform peep-toes from Macy’s.